Wednesday 16 February 2011

Visualisation.

Many psychology studies have shown the effectiveness of visualisation as a means of learning and creating change. I was once told by my physiotherapist that imagining a muscle in my knee as a lemon being squeezed with each squat could actually lead to faster recovery. I have also been told that imagining myself taking a spectacular intercept or executing a creative feed would translate such things to a netball game. Seeing things clearly in our minds seems to make them more real in reality and the consequences seem more significant. Here is my own image.

If a person is unfortunate enough to suffer from a crush injury, blood flow from the affected area or limb is restricted and is unable to flow towards the heart. In first aid, one is taught to remove the object as soon as possible. However, if such an act is not possible, there may be little hope for the injured person, because the longer the object remains unmoved, the more the toxins build up and threaten this person's life.

The toxins accumulate to a point where, once the object is removed, they gush out of the area and are free to destroy the rest of the body; like a tourniquet when it snaps, the blood rushes from the site.

So now imagine these toxins not as physical pain or infection, but mental pain. Perhaps if when we are crushed and the object oppressing us is not removed for an extended period of time, our negative thoughts and emotions too begin to accumulate. The toxins build up, so that, even when that hindrance is removed and we think that we are ready to be free and happy, we are more at danger than ever. Just as I was ready to fly, I too have been shot down by the gush of these toxic thoughts. Overcome again by a tidal wave of negativity, I wonder, will I survive?

No comments:

Post a Comment